Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Photographing the Urban Class Trip

Last Friday was my scheduled field trip to the Chatelherault Hunting Lodge and the Hamilton Mausoleum with my photography class. The assignment for the trip was to take Pictorialist pictures using handmade filters out of whatever we could find. Pictorialism was a photography movement that dominated the late19th and early 20th centuries. Photographers of this movement would manipulate photographs with a soft focus and different techniques in the dark room. The whole idea of doing this was to make photography more of an art form. This movement paralleled the Impressionist movement so many pictorial photos look as though they had visible brush strokes and etchings. Our own filters were supposed to make the photos we took look similar to those of the pictorialist movement. My filters were made up of plastic wrap sprayed with hairspray and covered in tea grinds, along with a piece of glass I found.
Here are some of the results I got with my filters:
At the Chatelherault Hunting Lodge


The Mausoleum








No comments:

Post a Comment