Friday, June 15, 2012

Finally Here

It's been a long two days but I finally made it to Scotland! I spent my first day in Edinburgh, walking around and exploring the city when I first arrived. The city was beautiful with its old architecture and the Edinburgh Castle which was where the Olympic torch was at a couple days ago. I loved walking around and listening to all the Scottish accents and seeing all of the cultural differences. I was amazed at how many differences I could find just walking around. Feeling exhausted, Kyle and I went back to the bed and breakfast we were staying and went to our rooms to shower and rest before dinner. We went with the Butler-IFSA group to dinner at an Italian restaurant which was paid for by butler (and included dessert which I was excited about). After dinner I went back to the bed and breakfast and went right to sleep! I was so exhausted since I couldn't sleep on the plane. This morning I woke up at 8, quickly got ready, and went to join everyone for breakfast. Kyle didn't get the memo that we were supposed to be downstairs by 8:45, so someone had to call his room to wake him and his roommate up. After breakfast we went to the Butler-IFSA office for a short orientation. We walked there, since you can pretty much walk everywhere in the city, but it was cold and raining so it wasn't the most pleasant walk. At the orientation they just talked about some Scottish history, cultural differences, and stuff we need to know about school here. After orientation we out to lunch at the Indigo Room as a group which was, again, paid for by Butler. After lunch we went back to the bed and breakfast to get our bags and get on a bus to come to Stirling. It's an hour drive from Edinburgh to Stirling so I slept almost the whole way there, even though I had already slept for 12 hours last night. I guess it's just the jet lag. Upon arriving to Stirling University, we were given our room keys and ID cards then shown where exactly we were living. I live in a flat which has 7 rooms and 2 bathrooms/showers. Each flat is within a building with three floors and there are about 4 or 5 flats to each floor. My flat is right next to Kyle's so that's nice. I already unpacked everything so it kinds feels like home. After unpacking Kyle and I went on a walk around campus because it finally stopped raining. The campus is BEAUTIFUL. It makes St. Edward's look bad. I mean there is a loch, a bridge, you can see the Wallace monument, and everything is so much greener and prettier! It's so amazing. The campus is kinda confusing to get around though, I'm just not used to it yet but at least if I get lost I'm guaranteed to end up somewhere beautiful and awesome. Well I'm back in my room now because it's so cold outside and I'm just relaxing with Kyle. Tomorrow is the Stirling Orientation and more people are arriving so I can't wait to meet everyone!
I'm super excited that I finally made it here and I can't wait to tell everyone about all the excitement.
bon voyage for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment