Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Third Day of Isle of Skye Trip

June 24, 2012 - This was unfortunately the very last day of the trip. This experience was so amazing and Danny was such an awesome person I just didn't want to leave! We had to be out of the hostel, all packed up, by 8:30. Apparently our bus driver from the day before called Danny and told him his bus broke down. So we had to get another bus AGAIN. Fortunately, the new bus came right on time without any complications. This was the day we visited the much anticipated Loch Ness!

First stop - Loch Ness view/Urquhart Castle. Our first stop was a view of Loch Ness and the Urquhart Castle. This castle makes you pay to get anywhere near the loch and it planted hedges all around so you can't really get pictures of the loch. It was also raining, but I did my best to snap a couple pictures.

The pretentious castle















Second stop - Nessieland. This is where all things Nessie the Loch Ness monster related are. From hats to condoms (yes they even have Nessie condoms...), you can pretty much buy any kind of Nessie paraphernalia you want. Along with the store, there is also a viewing area of the loch where the giant purple Nessie lives. She usually floats out in the water, but since it was bad weather that day she was resting under some trees.
mean Nessie

cute Nessie

There was a single cloud floating right above the loch

Our group from Stirling (we're missing 3 people)



Third Stop - Culloden Battlefield. We stopped here to get some history of the battle of Culloden which was the final confrontation of the 1745 Jacobite Rising. The battle pitted the Jacobite forces of Bonnie Prince Charlie against an army commanded by The Duke of Cumberland who was loyal to the British government.

The red and blue flags show where the original battle lines were drawn


























Fourth stop - Abbey Moore.  We stopped in Abbey Moore to get some lunch. Unfortunately we only had 30-40 minutes for lunch and all of the restaurants were packed so we didn't have time to wait. We ended up just going to Subway. I had gotten a fountain drink and once I had finished it off I went up to the dispenser to get some more. I mean it was Subway, and I do this all the time at the Subway at home. But as soon as one of the workers saw me refilling my drink they scolded me and said NO REFILLS! I felt really guilty and ended up just throwing the drink away without taking a single sip.

Fifth stop - Restroom break. Our next stop was the forest which had no restrooms obviously so we stopped at some public bathrooms 10 minutes before arriving. I really had to go but was furious when I found out I had to pay to use the the toilets. I thought it was ridiculous they were charging 30 pence at a "public restroom."

Sixth and final stop - The Hermitage Forest. 




















This trip was definitely an experience of a lifetime. I had an amazing time with Kyle and made some new friends along the way! I can't wait for my next adventure. 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment